Resolutions are funny things. The type I’m talking about are the type you might make on the new year. Not something to do with pixels or the law or the many other options on the Wikipedia page for ‘resolution’. I suppose I could refer to them as goals, or self improvements, targets even. Most of us would agree that the majority of new years resolutions are not kept for long, although I’m sure there are a few success stories.
Well it’s not New Year, but I feel like I need a fresh start. A shake out in the wind. Something to revitalise me. Since leaving full-time work I have stagnated somewhat, moulded a place in my sofa, probably spending too much time in bed, not doing either my jobs or all the fun things I thought I would have more time for. So I’m making some resolutions, and I’m sharing them. According to good old wiki a study in 2007 says that women are 10% more likely to succeed with resolutions if they share them. So here I am sharing them, but also formalising them by documenting them.
- Improve fitness
- I will achieve this by running. I have signed up for a marathon in April to raise money for CRY (more on this in another post.) Official marathon training will begin on 16th of December. On Monday 7th October my mini couch-5k 6 week plan starts to ensure I am actually able to jump into the marathon plan. My trainers are ready to go…
- Loose weight/fit back into my clothes.
- A steady relationship, especially one with someone who eats about 4x what I should be eating has caused a steadily expanding waistline.
- I will achieve this with a combination of the above running plan and generally watching what I eat. No strict rules as I don’t really agree with strict dieting – it can cause so many problems – just trying to stay clear of takeaways, eating only when I’m hungry, drinking lots so I can tell when I’m actually hungry and thinking about portion control, to stop eating sooner rather than gorging myself until I can’t move…
- SAVE MONEY
- This is a crucial goal at the moment as I am supposed to be saving money so I can go travelling in the spring
- Goal 1 is to pay off my credit card
- Goal 2 is to put some money away for travelling
- Goal 3 is to try to continue to slowly pay off the money I owe my parents from university
- I will try to ignore the fact that I would also love to be saving money for a house deposit. That is just going to have to wait.
- Don’t ask me how I am going to achieve these things… apart from paying attention to what I’m spending and trying to cut back I really don’t have a plan. Work more?
- Be more proactive.
- This is a difficult one. I can’t really make it SMART. I just want to be closer to the person I want to be rather than the person that I am currently being. I don’t feel at my best. Just a bit of a change of life attitude: I want to have the motto ‘Do it now’. Instead of constantly leaving everything till later and never getting round to it. I don’t want to spend time sitting on my sofa thinking about how useless I am that I haven’t done all these things I mean to – I want to just DO THEM.
So. New Me starts on Monday.
I hope it works!
PS I hope you like my home made colouring-in page. I stopped myself from buying an adult colouring book to save money and told myself I can just draw pictures instead.